Thursday, September 21, 2006

My new quest...


I have a new quest. I believe it to be noble. I am on a quest to find the greatest recordings of great songs. I won't lie. I am an unabashed Johnny "Darth" Mathis fan and I find many of his recordings to be the end all for many great tunes. Let me see... Johnny owns the title for Chances Are, Misty, When I Give My Heart, Three Times a Lady(the fact that this is only available on tape sucks ass) among others. You pretty much cannot go wrong when it comes to Darth Mathis. His and Ray Charles version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow from the Genius Loves Company album takes the title for that song.

I also have some picks that fall outside of Dr. Mathis. They are actually pretty oddball. Take the song I Honestly Love You. The best and so far the greatest recording of this song I have come across is sung by a man names Jarrod Emick. It appears on the the soundtrack from the musical The Boy From Oz. Take the time to find it. You won't regret it. Another pick like this is my favorite version of I Just Called to Say I Love You. The song is sung by an artist named Raul Midon and is featured on the album Possibilities by Herbie Hancock. The song even includes a solo by Stevie Wonder on the harmonica.

That is just a few of my picks. I hope to make it a regular posting as find more and more of these greatest recordings. I realize that this is a very subjective concept, so don't let me have all the fun! Post some of your favorites in the comments section. Music is such a wonderful thing. It is completely limitless in scope so the journey never gets old. Have fun exploring...

NJP 4 LIFE!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home